Based upon recommendation from the BC Wildfire Service, the Regional District of North Okanagan (RDNO) has extended the state of local emergency, and has expanded the Evacuation Order currently in place due to the Bunting Road wildfire on the east side of Mabel Lake (#K41561). In addition to expanding the current Evacuation Order, the RDNO has issued an Evacuation Alert for the area as well.
Members of the local police department and other applicable agencies will be expediting the Evacuation Order. The RDNO does not expect that the Evacuation Order will be lifted in the short term, and evacuees will not have access to their houses while the order is in place, therefore bring your pets and important items with you. See Evacuation Order/Alert area map below.
Because of the immediate danger to life safety, the Evacuation Order includes the following areas:
ORIGINAL AREA – 10,000 block -17,000 block of Mabel Lake Forest Service Road, aka Lumby Mabel Lake Road, including properties known as Cottonwoods.
NEW AREA – 6,000 block – 17,000 block of Mabel Lake Forest Service Road, aka Lumby Mabel Lake Road, including Cottonwoods and Cascade Beach Recreation Site.
IF YOU ARE IN THIS AREA, YOU MUST LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
- Shut off all gas and electrical appliances, other than refrigerators and freezers.
- Close all windows and doors.
- Close gates (latch) – but do not lock.
- Take critical items (medicine, purse, wallet, and keys) only if they are immediately available. Take pets in pet kennels or on leash.
- Gather your family and, if you have room, take a neighbour or someone needing transportation. Do not use more vehicles then you have to.
- Do not use the telephone unless you need emergency services
- Follow the evacuation route provided as follows:
- Travel south on Mabel Lake Forest Service Road, aka Lumby Mabel Lake Road to the Village of Lumby (approximately 50 km).
- Turn west towards Vernon on Highway 6 to Coldstream (Vernon) (approx. 20 km)
- Once you are evacuated, register as an evacuee online at https://ess.gov.bc.ca
Because of the potential danger to life and health, in addition to the above Evacuation Order the RDNO has issued an Evacuation Alert for the following areas:
3,300 block – 6,000 block Mabel Lake Forest Service Road, aka Lumby Mabel Lake Road
An Evacuation Alert has been issued to prepare you to evacuate your premises, property or recreational site within the mapped area should it be found necessary. Residents will be given as much advance notice as possible prior to evacuation; however you may receive limited notice due to changing conditions.
Please note: The attached map is not specific to any particular address within the evacuation alert boundary, but a general guideline. Any property in close proximity to the area should be prepared, and ready to evacuate during threatened times. See map of Evacuation Order/Alert area below.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
- Locate family members and designate a meeting area outside the evacuation area should an Evacuation Order be called while separated.
- Pack essential items such as government issued ID, medications, eyeglasses, valuable papers, immediate care needs for dependents and, if time and space permits, keepsakes forquick departure.
- Prepare to move persons with disabilities, children or neighbours, if assistance is needed.
- Prepare to take pets with you and move livestock to a safe area (if possible).
- Arrange transportation for all household members. Fill the gas tanks of personal vehicles.
- Arrange accommodation for all members of the residence, if possible.
- Wait for an Evacuation Order to be issued before evacuating.
- Monitor the news, radio and online sources for information on evacuation orders and location of Reception Centres.
Further information will be issued as updates are received from the BC Wildfire Service. Residents are encouraged to visit www.rdno.ca, the RDNO Facebook page, and listen to local radio for more information.