By Donna Easto
Chakras, you’ve probably heard of them, perhaps even practiced chakra affirmations, meditations, employed energy work such as reiki or used chakra crystals, stones or essential oils to get back in balance. Maybe someone has told you to work on a specific chakra without fully explaining what chakras are and how they relate to your life. So, what are chakras anyway and what colours are they attuned to?
The seven basic chakras begin at the base of your spine and move upward ending with the seventh on the crown of your head. They are commonly known as the base, sacral, solar plexus, throat, third eye and crown and are considered the energy centres of our body. The Sanskrit word chakra translates to “wheel,” and to understand their purpose, think of each of the seven as spinning wheels of pranic (vital life force) energy along your spine. Each of the chakras has a corresponding number, name, colour, area of the spine and health focus.
Over the past few weeks, we’ve explored the use of colour in the workplace. This article looks at how colour is associated with health and healing as it relates to the chakras.
- Red: Base/root (muladhara) located at the base of the spine governs the adrenal glands and the whole chakra system. It supplies prana to the rest of the body, mind, and spirit and as half of the root is outside the body, it grounds you to mother earth.
- Orange: Sacral (svadhisthana) located in the pelvic area just above the secual organs and beneath the navel is the centre of your creative and joyful experiences. Connected to the water element, it also provides balance by connecting you to your inner wisdom, stillness and personal development.
- Yellow: Solar Plexus (manipura) between the navel and base of the sternum governs the pancreas, liver, digestive system, spleen, gall bladder muscles and lower back. Connected to the fire element and sense of sight, it is associated with optimism, personal power, inner harmony and balances self, strength and mercy.
- Green: Heart (anahata) located in the centre of the chest governs the heart, blood circulation, immune system, skin and hands. Connected to the air element and the sense of touch, the anahata is associated with understanding, forgiveness, healing and love.
- Blue: Throat (vishuddhi) located at the base of the throat governs the thyroid, jaw, neck, voice, upper lungs and arms. Connected to the ethers (space) and the sense of healing, it is associated with communication, creativity, integrity, wisdom and truth.
- Indigo: Third Eye (ajna) located above and between the eyes governs the pituitary gland, endocrine system, sinuses and nose. Connected to light and all of the senses, it is associated with inner vision, intuition, imagination, idealism, concentration and peace of mind.
- Violet: Crown (sahasrara) located at the top of the skull near the cerebral cortex governs the pineal gland, central nervous system, depression and migraines. Connected to the thought process, it is associated with perfection, unity, divine wisdom and purpose, bliss, understanding and enlightenment. The crown chakra is also associated with gold and white.
This has been a very brief overview of a very complex system for more detailed information seek out your local yoga, reiki or other practitioner who uses energy healing.