W.J. “Will” Shields (1884-1973) came to Lumby in 1907 to manage Megaw’s General Store. In 1910, Will bought the business from Megaw and formed Shields and Company which operated until 1956 when Will sold the store to John Hare. The second Shields store burned to the ground in the great fire of 1932. Mr. Shields donated the land for the Primary School and High School. He was a well liked, successful businessman as well as a magistrate and School District 22 Trustee.
Moments in Time – Photos & Memories from the Lumby Museum – W.J. Shields – September 10, 2021