Lumby Celebrates Its 130th Birthday In 2021!
In 1891, Louis Morand purchased 40 acres from Quinn Faulkner and dedicated the land to form a new frontier settlement called “White Valley”. In 1893, a letter was sent to the Postmaster General to rename the settlement to “Lumby”. Even though there was a development boom in 1912, there was no local government and no decisions could be made locally. All decisions came from Victoria or through the government agent in Vernon. However, in 1955, Lumby was incorporated and the first local council was elected.