Moments in Time – Photos & Memories from the Lumby Museum – April 2, 2021

In 1860, Lumby was called “Bull Meadows”; “Bessette” in 1877 after Peter Bessette who farmed where Lumby is today and “Whitevalley” in 1889 when the post office opened.  

Today’s namesake, Moses Lumby was born in England in 1840 and died in Victoria at the age of 52 from Typhoid Fever.  He served the public as a Justice of the Peace, Government Agent and Gold Commissioner.  In 1894, a year after his passing, the Village of Lumby was named after him.

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Email
Print