It Was A Beautiful Day

Welcome to Colleen’s Corner. This is a column meant for fun and some information About myself: I am Colleen Fielding, a Freelance Photographer you often see me on the side of the road  or in various places taking photos of different things animals, birds, places, people etc.  l have lived in Lumby just over 8 years,you have seen my photos in the newspaper (Lumby Valley Times) and once in awhile in the Vernon Morning Star, and the Lumby Art Gallery. Photography is my passion. Disclaimer:  The information on some of my photos that I write about a lot of times come from the Internet or books I research them, hopefully the facts are as close to the truth as I can come.

For the last couple of months my life has been pretty hectic, and a little stressful. As most of you know by now, Tim and I got Married just last week. Yup, we did it. Here’s what transpired before the Wedding Day:

Everything was planned out, how many people would be attending, who would walk me down the aisle, who would do the photography, what band would play, what would my flowers be, etc.etc. 

The weatherman said it might rain, well okay nothing I can do about that.

My good friend Dolores from Kelowna and I  went dress shopping on a Sunday in Kelowna. I wasn’t shopping for a regular wedding dress, as white is just not my style. So we didn’t want to go to a wedding dress store. Before shopping we stopped at Milestones to have a good lunch. From there we went to Orchard Park Mall, we stopped at a dozen stores, and did not find any dresses that I would like to wear. Then we went downtown Bernard there were a couple of stores there, but again nothing jumped out to me. After hours and hours of  endless shopping, I could feel the stress level rising, we were burnt out, and called it quits. We decided to go again the following Friday. Once again we were shopping in Kelowna, we stopped at one store, and wow you should have seen all the beautiful dresses. This was the store for sure, after trying on about 7 dresses, and one of them twice, bang there it was, the one I tried on twice. This was the one, too bad we hadn’t gone to this store the first time. Oh well, it was fun, and the stress level geared down a bit. 

Ok, then there was the question of the flowers, what was I going to do?  There it was, the stress level starting to rise again. My friend went to an  online auction and what do you know, there was a flower store in Kelowna that was auctioning off a specified amount for flowers. Dolores won the bid! Whew! Stress level falling a little bit more.

Okay finding the photographer was another chore. The people I asked were not available, so I thought I would just put my camera on the remote and take the pics myself. But in the back of my mind I knew this might not work out, and the stress level was very high now. Tada!  A friend of mine from years ago, Tina, came to the rescue. The photography was covered. Hooray, stress levels are dropping again a bit. Now the band, we had it all worked out. But then two of the band members could not make it. “Oh No” I thought now what? So the stress level went up again, how can you have a Wedding without music? Stu, came to my rescue, and suggested that he and two other band members Dennis and Fred would be happy to play for us. This was awesome! The stress levels definitely came down now.

Then probably the biggest stress happened. Who would walk me down the aisle? The person that was at first going to do this could not make it. I was feeling very anxious, as even though it was not a traditional wedding I still wanted to have certain things, including something new, something old, something borrowed, something blue, and being walked down the aisle, after all it is my first wedding. My friends Dawn and Cyrilla took care of the new, old, borrowed, and blue so that was good. But the dilemma and stress still remained, who would walk me down the aisle? My friend Dolores from Kelowna called me and said” I have known you for over 30 years, I will be more than happy to walk you down the aisle!” “Why Not” I thought. The stress was relieved, I could breathe again. So Dolores walked me down the aisle, Tim was waiting at the altar for me. We both said I do, in the little Lumby United Church, the ladies from the church had added some artificial flowers to the rows of the pews, they looked wonderful. Just so you know, it was even more special as apparently our wedding has been the first wedding in the church for 35 years. I felt honored to be able to have our wedding there. We had some photos taken outside the church, it did not rain the whole time, it was a beautiful day.

After the photos were taken, we then went to the Legion and had a small reception, following the Covid 19 rules of course. Everyone was fully vaccinated, and wearing their mask when not seated.  My friend Jo had lent me her Cake Knife, and also the Bride and Groom Cake Topping, it was great I could cut the cake.The 3 person band played in the background. They were awesome!

It is funny how when I see people now they ask me “how is married life”? Well, really it is not that much different than before. We still do the same things we were doing before the wedding, except now we both wear our rings.

I would like to thank everyone for helping Tim, and I put this all together, and making it all so much fun, joining us at the church and or the reception. It is a very good feeling to have such Great Friends and I am grateful for every single one of you.

By the way, the Stress from the last couple of months concerning the Wedding is now gone.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on print