Submitted by Brian Jones
I practically live on salads in hot summer weather and therefore have countless recipes. Here’s one I love from a 1983 salad cookbook – easy to prepare, healthy and delicious!
- 1 (398 ml) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/2 c. cubed cheddar cheese
- 2 (170 g.) cans chunk albacore tuna, well drained
- 2 c. coarsely shredded lettuce
- 1/3 c. sliced olives
- 3/4 c. low fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 c. diced green pepper
- 2 tbsp. hot taco sauce (or to taste)
- 3 tbsp. sliced green onions
- 2 c. slightly crushed tortilla chips
- Halved cherry tomatoes for garnish
- Combine drained pineapple, tuna, olives, green pepper, green onion, cheese and lettuce in large salad bowl.
- Blend mayonnaise and taco sauce together to make dressing.
- Just before serving, add tortilla chip pieces and toss lightly with the dressing.
- Garnish with halved cherry tomatoes.
- (Leftover olives with their liquid keep indefinitely in a covered container in the fridge, for the next recipe!)
Do you have a favourite recipe, perhaps something that brings back memories of days gone by? Send it to the Lumby Valley Times. Mail your recipe(s) to: Box 456, Lumby B.C. or e-mail to to: firstname.lastname@example.org, please indicate if you want your name to be used in the article, or would prefer to remain anonymous.