Courtesy of Murray August, The Lumby Watkins Man
GF Rosemary Lemon Bars
If you’ve never tried it, Rosemary can add a fresh herbal lift to bread and other baked goods. This recipe for lemon bars is delicious with or without the herb. If you’re going gluten-free, you might need a recipe for All Purpose Flour.
GLUTEN-FREE ALL PURPOSE FLOUR BLEND: combine 1 cup white rice flour, 1 cup sorghum flour, 1 cup tapioca flour, 1 cup GF cornstarch and 1 cup almond flour.
OR you can save some time and purchase pre-mixed flour from the Monashee Community Co-op in Lumby. They carry these brands: Anita’s, Bob’s and Pamela’s.
Gluten-Free Rosemary Lemon Bars
- 1 cup GF all-purpose flour
- 1 cup macadamia nuts or slivered almonds
- ½ cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp grated lemon peel, divided
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- Additional powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat 9” square baking pan with non-stick organic canola cooking spray, non-aerosol and propellant free.
- Place first 7 ingredients (1 tsp of the lemon peel) in food processor. Process until mixture forms fine crumbs. Press onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes or so until nicely browned.
- Beat sugar, eggs, lemon juice and remaining lemon peel with electric mixer at medium speed to blend.
- Pour mixture over warm crumbs. Bake 18-20 minutes or so, until centre is set and edges are nicely browned. Cool completely on a wire rack. Dust with the additional powdered sugar. Makes about 18 servings. If there’s any left, store tightly covered at room temperature.
Want to see your favourite recipe here? Watkins or not, I’d be pleased to feature it. You can share it with me at firstname.lastname@example.org or Box 555, Lumby V0E 2G0 Maximum length 300 words.
NEXT WEEK: RIBLETS