In 1929 electricity finally came to Lumby – thanks to the construction of the Wilsey Dam and generating station on the Shuswap River. In fact, between 1929 and 1951, the Wilsey Dam provided electric power for most of the North Okanagan. The dam was constructed at the site of the original 21 metre Shuswap Falls and was built by the West Canadian Hydro Electric Corporation. In this 1937 photo, notice the spillway that was blasted through solid rock. In 1942, a second dam was constructed at the outlet of Sugar Lake to create storage and increased generating potential.
Moments in Time – Photos & Memories from the Lumby Museum – Wilsey Dam – July 30, 2021