Around 1900, Bill Fraser walked across Canada and with winter approaching, decided to build a cabin near Margie Lake in what is now known as Monashee Provincial Park. Bill eventually built Fraser Lodge on a rise overlooking Sugar Lake. The Lodge was a 3-story cedar log building with a wide wrap-around veranda. Bill guided many artists and outdoor enthusiasts into the majestic mountains surrounding Sugar Lake. As one of the first known visitors to the area, the highest mountain (elevation 8789 feet or 2679 metres) was named for Bill Fraser on August 10, 1928. In the early 1960’s a government surveyor named Fostall renamed the mountain to Mt. Fostall.
Moments in Time – Photos & Memories from the Lumby Museum – Bill Fraser – May 28, 2021